Peewee Cup [Saturday May 5th]

HOME Forums BA Tournements Peewee Cup [Saturday May 5th]

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  doubtingreality 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I’m proud to announce that Peewee Cup 05/05/2012 is organized to fill the everlasting need of tournaments!

Peewee Cup site: http://murtada.nl/peeweecup/
    Please read all the information and rules listed on this site prior to signing up!

- Scores should be reported on the Challonge website.
    - Replays can be posted to in this topic.
    ————————————————————————————————-
    Game: Balanced Annihilation v7.68
    Date & time: 19.00 GMT
    Gametype: 2 vs 2 team-based single elimination
    Players: Total of 16, each team consists of 2 players
    Rounds: Best of 3; Finals: Best of 5
    Seeding: Randomly done by Challonge
    Sign-up: 1 player per team, through the button on the right
    Sign-up period: Make sure you have signed up before the event has started!

Direct sign-up link: http://murtada.nl/peeweecup/#sign-up
    ————————————————————————————————-

Any questions feel free to ask in this topic or join channel #tourney – type /join #tourney in the lobby chat and message MACOSX, [KoS]Zentarion or [Fx]Droid.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Johannes

Are you sure about the map choices?

DeadVally and SoporBeta are especially bad I think, for anything.
    And Into Battle, Small Divide and Barren are not very exciting for anything but 1v1.

Johannes:
    Are you sure about the map choices?

DeadVally and SoporBeta are especially bad I think, for anything.
    And Into Battle, Small Divide and Barren are not very exciting for anything but 1v1.

No, we’re not 100% sure about the maps. Maps might change if enough voice is heard against those maps.
    Yet, Small Divide, Barren and Syporbeta are very interesting in a 2 vs 2 match, they get played in a dynamic way, which is quite different than in 1 vs 1.

Into Battle will most likely be changed in the next week to some other map.

Thanks for letting us know ;)

Ares

Looking forward to entering. The event website has some nice touches, especially the OTA sign up button.

Ares:
    Looking forward to entering. The event website has some nice touches, especially the OTA sign up button.

Great! We’re happy it’s getting some attention! :)
    Don’t forget to spread the word!

Johannes

Barren has so little m on it, that in a 2v2 lab sharing too easily wins over anything else. Which does not make for very interesting games most of the time.

And SyporBeta is not good for 1v1 nor 2v2, firstly the big centrepiece rock in it has such ill defined hitsphere that units cannot be properly hit. Not a fan of the choreography otherwise either, it’ll boil down to controlling the middle, once you have that you control the whole map pretty much – leads to comm vs comm battles in a narrow area, games will be quick and most of the map won’t be utilised. Raiding is quite easily blocked, it’s quite 1-dimensional instead of dynamic.

DeadVally is the worst though, 1 narrow route of attack, no other expansion to speak of, badly defined features, looks shitty too if you care about that sort of thing… Games will be short and disappointing, it’s the first priority to change.

Small Divide is mostly ok though, if you like short games, it does have a good variety of tactics to use. But for the most part, spectators like longer games better.

Why not pick some proven 2v2 maps like Eye Of Horus, Blue Bend, CCR, etc. instead?

Johannes:
    Barren has so little m on it…

Really glad you took the time to explain why you wouldn’t like to see these maps. We are going to take your arguments into consideration and if we stumble upon better maps, we will update the map list.

Johannes:
    Why not pick some proven 2v2 maps like Eye Of Horus, Blue Bend, CCR, etc. instead?

While these maps may give the spectators and players what they expect from a basic 2 vs 2 battle, we’d like to change up the pacing with having new and different maps. Yes, they might – at first glance – lack extensive amount of tactical freedom, but I bet they can be played in lots of ways, and those can again be countered in ways we have yet to see. We are not going to fall back on maps we know that “work”. We want to have fun and see new gameplay, even though it’ll be only 5 minutes :)

Johannes

Problem is, if something lacks that freedom on first glance, chances are that whatever further depth there is, won’t be shown before dozens of games are played on them, ie. not in this tourney. People will rather go with what those first impressions tell them.

Also consider that those first 5 minutes are the part of the game that are played the most, therefor the most figured and mapped out part of the game.

New maps in themselves are nice to have, I’d just rather have them to present a good variety of strategy already on the first look – when you compare, for example, pretty much every finals map and tangerine – none of which I have played in 2v2 very much if at all, they already by just looking at them, make me think of many many different ways the game can go and progress. Whereas something like SyporBeta, I look at it and have a much more simple and clear image of how almost every game will go.

Thanks for everyone who participated in this event!
    Final brackets can be found here: http://images.challonge.com/spring-peeweecup.png

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.